Re: What's wrong with Plone?

On 14-03-2005 18:46, Knut Yrvin wrote:
> mandag 14. mars 2005, 18:12, skrev Jonas Smedegaard:
>
>>Can anyone please provide details of the technical _reasons_ behind the
>>Skolelinux decision to _switch_ from Plone to eZ Publish?
>

> * The motivation making this web-site is mainly to helt teachers and the
> leaders at schools to use Skolelinux / Debian Edu. Nothing more nothing
> less. To make this work we also need teachers to produce content. This is
> to difficoult today, and the menu's and so on need a propper clean up. This
> is just a parial reason for changing to eZ. Other reasons other peopla have
> told me are:
>
> * Technical
> - Memory leakage
> - what to run a new Plone instance for every language
> - The multilingual support
> - The ability to add docbook as static documents easily to the CMS
>   (this counts for both Plone and eZ)
>
> * Usability
> - Some difficulties for new unexperienced users to add articles (a lot of
> news could be written by teachers. Our experience is that this is not as
> easy as it should be).

Thanks for the info.

I am a tachnician, not a usability expert, so cannot fairly judge the
usability aspect of Plone.

The technical issues - do anyone have more details on that?

Given the time of setup, I assume either major parts of the code was
done from tarballs rather than Debian packages, or it was based on the
older Zope 2.6. Maybe the memory leaks are fixed using proper Debian
packages and Zope 2.7?

I guess the issue of multilingual support is "the localisation tools
were not stable at the time of setting it up" that was mentioned at the
january gathering. If so, that explains the need for running a separate
Plone for each language (and was partly a design decision, I believe).

Could docbook support maybe get implemented in Plone using Archetypes?

> * Some general critique against the use of the CMS today.
> - It's not answering to the questions from the users. The CMS today is
> clearly written by a old school media-person, not from an expert on
> usability issues in human computer interaction.
> - The new proposed design will reduce the menu's to the half, and aim
> directly to what the teachers need to run or decide how to use Skolelinux
> in both small and large inter-schools installation

Is the new proposed design public available, or held secret for some reason?

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

- --