Re: etherboot startup from lilo, and hdparm for spinning down disk.

Andreas Schuldei wrote:

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 09:07:16AM +0000, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Torstein Dybdahl wrote:

Have not made the howto for lilo install in english.

With this solution we can use the cheap rtl8139 networkcards in ltspclients with harddisk.
It seems a nice idea that this route be documented, though the etherboot
route is obviously a lot simpler.  You must be on a very tight budget as
etherboot cards are about 22 euro from Martin Herweg.  If you have the
cards you can just buy ROM chips for them for 11 euro.

Will note down the Martin Herweg site. Thanks

and you can get the eproms for free if you look a bit (else: ebay?) and
if you hit on some friend in an electronics shop you can burn the
eproms for free, too. it is really easy and easy to mass-produce.

11euros for an epropm sounds ... profitable.

I know they can be made, but the cards with eeprom socket is about 30 NOK more expensive, + the work for the eeprom.

My school is on a very tight budget, so we have to save each kroner.
But I hope for a better next year.

I will fix up the english howto when I get the time.

Regards
Torstein