Re: RFS: schooltool

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 21:07:41 +0200, Brian Sutherland <jinty@web.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 08:38:04PM +0200, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> > * Petter Reinholdtsen (pere@hungry.com) [040906 20:24]:
> > i guess schooltool does not supply its own http server but relies
> > on apache anyway? Brian?
>
> No, it provides it's own server. but for ssl it needs to be set up as a
> virtual server of apache.
>
> Then the outside request goes to apache via ssl and then to the
> schoolbell server. The schoolbell server then is configured only to
> serve local requests (127.0.0.1).
>
> At least that is how I currently understand the situation after a few
> hours of looking at it.

The situation is similar to Zope.  It has its own perfectly capable
web server -- which doesn't do SSL, and runs on a non-standard port by
default.  In production, most people put it behind Apache and/or Squid
for various reasons, but you can also just switch the built in server
to port 80 and use it.

I'd think whatever the Zope package does would be a good starting point.

Tom Hoffman
SchoolTool project manager