Re: English skolelinux users mailing list etc

Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
On Πεμ 02 Σεπ 2004 12:40, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

There is also the question of whether this separates the developer
too much from user questions.  In that case, either developers can
lurk on the new list too or at worst I suppose all mails could be
cc'd across.  It seems clear to me that there is currently no
"newbie" type conversation on debian-edu.  If this were to change a
lot (though I don't believe it will as things stand), I suspect
some developers might start asking for a separate list.

I believe that this will happen eventually, esp. as Skolelinux takes off in other countries. And then we might have a users-en@skolelinux. {no, org} (or debian.org, whichever you prefer), a users-no@, users-el@ etc, so that teachers can discuss administration, users, etc. but _not_ developer/technical matters in their own native language.

It's only a matter of demand, but i guess it's best to plan ahead.

Konstantinos

We are here for you and ready to help. We can provide a vserver at hosef.org, and we can cname it for you as skolelinux.hosef.org. If you want a list, a BB, whatever, let's go for it. Sandbox it here if you would like.

Our box is beefy enough for now, and our bandwidth is provided by The University of Hawaii and the esteemed Brian Chee. We are throttled for off-island downloads, but we can hang with a mailing list or a BB. We can not maintain the BB. In the upcoming year we will provide unthrottled downloads via the Internet2 backbone. We would love to mirror more than the isos.

We wrestled with the issue of providing our recipients an easy, non-intimidating list for help. Harnessing the manpower to monitor a BB was a failure. A separate list for our island installs was needless. Sending the teachers to the k12osn list would break them. We just invite them to post to our managers list. I like the idea of a teacher's only list, but it will take a Gavin, and more, to monitor it and keep all on track, at least in the beginning.

Watching the k12osn list, hosted by redhat and the forum for the k12ltsp distro, is illuminating because of Jim McQuillan's and Eric Harrison's responses. It is tough, though, and I don't know of any teacher paid well enough to keep up. It is a great melding of developers, newbies, and sysadmins, but it is tough to keep up with. Lots of traffic.

This list is absolutely inspiring because of the dignified tone, the technical expertise, and the debian way of doing things. To see what is happening in Norway is beyond inspiring; it is the way. I fear that our recipients would be too respectful to ask dumb questions of this list. One RTFM comment would hurt.

If we can help, we will. We are HOSEF, the Hawaii LUG in action. A charitable non-profit, we are governed by lovers of debian and I am eager to leverage our resources to facilitate your goals. Please let us know how we can be of service.

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford
Founder/Director