Re: Commercial involvement of SLX Debian Labs in Debian Edu market

You will find my comments at the end of this loooong mail.

tir, 27.07.2004 kl. 22.37 skrev Petter Reinholdtsen:
> Hm, this email ended up a bit long.  I'm sorry for not taking the time
> to make it shorter.
>
> [Ragnar Wisloff]
> > Today there has been a thread on the mailing lists about various
> > projects and tasks that it seems SLX Debian Labs is involved in, and
> > that some of the project developers and others might get involved
> > with as well. I am not impressed by the lack of answers to explicit
> > questions that have been asked.
>
> I am not sure what the fuzz is all about, but obviously there are some
> areas where the general knowledge is not up to date.
>
> I'll try to summarize the general principles in use by the project, as
> well as the state of the various plans/contacts/applications I'm aware
> of and/or remember at the moment.
>
> An important thing to remember is that the Debian-Edu/Skolelinux
> project do not make exclusive deals with anyone.  We welcome every one
> interested in making this project a success, and try our best to make
> sure everyone work together on a equal terms.
>
> First of all, for the Debian-Edu project to be a success, there needs
> to be a well functioning marked for people supplying services to
> schools.  The project supplies a complete software solution and a
> foundation on which others can build their work.  But only the
> software is free (as in speech and beer).  For schools to have a well
> functioning computer installation, they will need access to
> knowledgeable people monitoring and fixing their network of computers
> when a problem appears.  It will also need people locally doing the
> day-to-day maintenance.  The goal of the project is to _reduce_ the
> time needed to do maintenance, but I believe it is unlikely that the
> need will be removed.
>
> Another goal of the project is to make sure most of the maintenance
> can be done remotely, to make it possible to administrate a school
> over the net.  The idea is to make it possible for commercial entities
> to provide such maintenance services for several schools.  This is
> needed because a single school is unlikely to be able to maintain a
> staff of highly skilled computer administrators (after all, most such
> staff want to work in an environment where there are other highly
> skilled computer people, not alone in a school).  If regional centers
> can be established to monitor and maintain the computer installations
> of several schools, those schools are more likely to receive high
> quality services.
>
> In short, we want several entities providing Debian-Edu consulting and
> maintenance contracts to schools in competition with each other.  We
> want to provide those entities with the tools out of the box to make
> their job easy, to make sure the schools don't have to pay a lot to
> get this service.
>
> At the moment I'm aware of a few companies providing such services,
> but there is room for more.  Size is also an issue.  A school or a
> [...]

I think your mail did explain a few things, Petter.

But I do not understand why Knut can't answer the questions from Ragnar.
He could at least say that he could not say anything about the deal
because ......... . I do know which company we are talking about and I
realy can't see any problems making their name public, or what do you
say Knut?

If it's not possible to tell which company this is, Knut should at least
tell the list about the "deal" or "what is going on".  I do find it wery
worying if Knut is stopping giving out this sort of information.

Markus
--
Markus Gamenius

Project leader / President of "Skolelinux"

www.skolelinux.no

Phone: +47 +908 26 928