Re: Week 30 report of Knut Yrvin. Week 31 plans

Knut Yrvin wrote:
tirsdag 27 juli 2004, 10:35, skrev Finn-Arne Johansen:

- Take contact with the security and maintenance-team in Skolelinux
to get a proposal in how we should "flag" the restart-issue when
doing security patches. A lot of security-fixes don't need restart,
but the kernel-updates does. (SLX, Debian Edu)

This is done in the DESA that are sent out.

http://www.skolelinux.no/security/

This is very well done! Unfortunatly the company which gonna operate 200 schools with Skolelinux need even more framework when doing upgrades

Which company is this? It seems that SLX Debian Labs bends over backwards to satsify the needs of this unnamed commercial enterprise.

and so on. This is a part of a enterprise routine that has to be both a practical in an huge day-to-day opraration when managing many Skolelinux installations, and it should be well documented in a ISO 9001-way :-).

- Taking contact with In/Out and others to make a "save work hours"
 when changing broken SCSI-disks at schools. (TC,IO,SLX)

This is a part of the routine with the company wich gonna operate a lot of Skolelinux installations at schools :-).

See comment above.

- Making a LTSP, NoMachine, Half-thick-client project-plan.
(LTSP-Jim, FAJ, RW)

This one we can take on by our self.

Also here I have to be "invoved" cause of SLX Debian Labs contacts between companies that may pay for this effort. This can be easily done as we talked about. You and Ragnar could write a requirement specification and help getting this funded. I'll use the specifications an a plan on how to do it, so that the companies interested can get motivated to pay for this effort!

Fine. As SLX Debian Labs knows, both Finn-Arne and my employer are trying to make a living from supporting Debian-Edu users. Can I assume this will be paid work? Is this also meant to be preparation for the no-name company which will take over the market?

Should we interpret your comment above to mean that any company which wants to fund Debian-Edu development or adaption to particular purposes needs to go through SLX Debian Labs?

Sincerely
Knut Yrvin

--
Med vennlig hilsen