Re: Cleaning away old processes (idle-jobb-killer 2)

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 10:39:41PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Finn-Arne Johansen]
> > On Time we kill all processes each night on the thin-client server that
> > is not run by either root or daemon. I think that is the script
> > night-kill that is run.
>
> Such configuration is rather crude.  Will it kill system daemons
> running as their own user? The ijk2 script tries to detect if a given
> user is logged in or not, and kill the processes based on this and
> other information.  I believe its logic would be interesting to extend
> and improve.

Yes, it would be interesting to look at.
night-kill are by default told to skip processes owned by root and
daemon (The variable KEPPONES)

also there is a variable USERLIMIT=10000, which tell the script only to
consider processes owned by uid >= $USERLIMIT

And it looks for a config file where this might be overridden located
in /etc/debian-edu/nightkill.conf

It's all in version 1.0 (venus)

--
Finn-Arne Johansen