Re: Cleaning away old processes (idle-jobb-killer 2)

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 08:08:45PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> There has been some discussion on how to clean away left over
> processes from the servers.  The solution from Klaus is a good start.
> In addition, I've managed to get the admin staff at the local computer
> science departement to release their idle job killer with a GPL
> license.

On Time we kill all processes each night on the thin-client server that
is not run by either root or daemon. I think that is the script
night-kill that is run.

> ijk2 is a script trying to figure which processes are safe to kill.
> When it find such process, it is killed and the user is emailed with a
> notification.

On TIme, the teachers actually use the mail setup (That's why we
experienced the limitation on simultanous imap requests from one IP)
I'm not sure how much the pupils use the mail.

On Ulsrud, I know that nobody (except me checking root mail) uses the
mail system.

So I'm not sure if the mail to users is of any use.

Actually since we've not heard anyone else complaining about #459, I
take it that not many uses the mail function.

> There is also a small program allowing the junior admins (terminal
> guards) to kill leftover processes.

I guess that is usefull in higher education, but I dont see any schools
that uses skolelinux, that will use this today. It will however help if
the Installation is outsourced, and local ICT personell is capabel of
doing some (junior) admin stuff.

> I hope these scripts can form the base for tools for use in
> debian-edu.
> The source is available from
> <URL:ftp://ftp.ifi.uio.no/pub/software/tkill-1.5.tar.gz>.
> Anyone interested in looking into the issue?

Maybe later.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no