Re: weekly report week 22, 23

On Monday 07 June 2004 22:44, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> * Thomas Templin (lists@gnuwhv.de) [040607 20:04]:
> > On Monday 07 June 2004 19:46, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> > > i also tried to win german developers for work on "localisation"
> > > of debian-edu in germany (not meaning langugae but working
> > > together with german teachers and schools to solve german
> > > problems) and there could be two interested (with some time) and
> > > many more without any. (c:
> >
> > Who did you try to win and where (state).
>
> i dont care in which german state. preferably close to other
> german skolelinux people. i talked to debian developers at
> debconf, who i belive to have the potential to both care and
> productively work with german teachers.
Hhhm, sounds like "developers with communicative skills wanted" which is due
to my experience not easy at all.
(c:

> > How do you want to get german teachers involved (any offer to them)?
>
> the problem is that mostly teachers (aka non-technical people and
> not knowlegeable about how to work in a team over the net) are
> involved right now in skolelinux-de. little to no reusable code
> or documentation flows back to the bigger community. Some
> quality ensurance effords are in the works, and a german wiki was
> created, but no reoccuring efford is made to push it upstream.
Yepp, unfortunately.

> (one could blame the new website, which is still not up, and
> which is intended as a way of providing an international forum
> and help to solve that problem.)
You talking about skolelinux.org?

> as far as i am concerned those developers and teachers should
> work in close proximity, and the developers task would probably
> be to observe where the teachers struggle and
> 1) communicate that in a usable way to the other developers
> 2) solve the problem in a reusable fashion
> 3) educate the teachers and enable them to become multipicators
>    (to help others)
I would sort it 3), 1), 2)
And would say 3) Motivate teachers participating and not only consume.

> > In which position / task shall teachers be involved (existing doc's /
> > info material about that for interested teachers)?
>
> i guess the most interesting teachers would be those with a
> developer around. (c:
I wouldn't reduce it only on a developer. I think a "motivator", someone who
is a experienced Linux user / admin. And the biggest skill should be to be
able to teach the teachers how developing is done, which tools are used, how
this tools where used and how developers are communicating.

> all the rest could try to get over their mindset of "i want this,
> provide it for me now!" (which i notice more in german teachers
> then elsewhere) towards "i need this, how can i help to make it
> happen and where can i contribute?".
"Vorwiegend Nehmerqualitäten", in german .
"mostly takers than givers", might be a suitable translation. (c:
And FULLACK.
Thats the biggest problem here in germany for Free Software in education.
German teachers are beleved to be very information resistant and learning
resistant. /-:
Over the time it becomes quite demotivating / discouraging.
<frieslaan>Juemmers munter blieven unn kopp hoch.</frieslaan>
(o:
Most teachers are looking for a "Solution in a Box" and are very
microsoftated, "Learning by doing.", or should I call it assimilated.
A point of view they would never accept in their own field...

Since some month I'm thinking about how I will be able to get a foot on deck
in a german university. May be with a course, "GNU/Linux in Education;
Methods of Communiocation, Participation. Benefits for Learning and Teaching
on the methodic / paedagogic and social field."
But I think they won't accept me as a "Dozent" lecturer.  d-:
German universities attach much greater importance to educational status than
to knowledge or inteligence for their lecturers.

> i am german myself.
Ick weet, har ick meij juemmers dacht... *grins*

May be it will be a good Idea to do some work in a, let me call it, "Getting
Started Tutorial for Teachers"?
Or in a special talk / presentation which cal be held at teacher seminars?
For this it might be interesting to have a video tape which can be used as a
first intro to get in contact with teachers or with students who will be
tomorrows teachers.

You will be at LinuxTag?
May be it will be a good idea if we will talk about how we can start on this.
I will think that Christian Selig will be interested joining us.
@Christian, sach was dazu... (c:

Tschüss,
Thomas