Re: Too many default groups in Skolelinux' LDAP schema?

Ragnar Wisloff wrote:
There's been an entertaining discussion about this :-)

Let me just make the comment that too many groups will create real problems, no matter what the naming scheme is. Since NFS will honour no more than 16 groups, users logging in to a thin client server (which mounts the home dirs etc. using NFS) will risk not being able to use common file storage set aside for a specific group. We have diagnosed this problem at one school at least, where one of the teachers was a member of 28 groups.

But that problem maybe solve via another solution. NFS is good for
internal thin-clients, but even for server-server-filesharing I think
there are better solutions (e.g. coda). Ok, we're also using NFS
internally, but maybe we have to switch since group-count increases.

But the main problem is that it is not easily possible to enable access
to NFS shares for home users (e.g. students at home). It also not easily
possible to use SMB for this. At the moment we're using NFS for thin
linux clients, SMB for windows workstations and WebDAV for home users.

best regards,
Markus
--

Computers are like airconditioners:
  They stop working properly if you open windows.