Re: Unterschiede PXE, EtherBoot does "PXE"

Hi,
On Saturday 05 February 2005 15:47, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 10:01:31AM +0100, Andreas Schockenhoff wrote:
>  <snip/>
>
> > Etherboot die neuste Version macht auch PXE
>
> Indeed recent versions of EtherBoot do "PXE".
>
> <rant about="PXE" remark="the story continues :-)">
>  But PXE, Pre eXecution Environment, is a sick marketing joke. Where
>  enviroment means mixing BIOS code with a (properity) network
> protocol.
>
>  You don't want tricky BIOS code, you want to do a network boot.
> </rant>
>
> H. Peter Anvin, the author of the bootloaders SYSLINUX and ISOLINUX,
> wrote also PXELINUX. It does load and start a Linux kernel. It is the
> stage between "PXE systems" and the kernel. Recent EtherBoot version
> do support PXELINUX, the bootloader, without tricky BIOS code.
All right the difference between Etherboot and Etherboot/PXE for me is
the bootloader. He can load a untagged linux kernel or something else
like DOS ....
Without tricks you can transfer kernel parameters. A group of IPs or a
singel IP or a MAC address can have a special config.

But I like etherboot/PXELINUX because you can start it from (Disk or
Floppy) and of course it is free. :-)

> > (Leider funktioniert dann
> > die Automatische PXE oder Etherboot Erkennung nicht mehr).
>
> That has nothing to do with EtherBoot, it is in dhcpd.conf on tjener.
Yes it is in the dhcpd.conf. With Intel/PXE it works but the same config
does not work with Etherboot/PXE(5.3.8 tested).
I we find a different return value between Etherboot/PXE and Etherboot
it works again. :-)

bye Andreas