Re: [Debian-NYC] Thoughts on Eventbrite.

Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 12:14:26AM -0500, Ron Guerin wrote:
>
>> Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

>> I wish it were as easy as simply choosing to meet in spaces that don't
>> require RSVP lists.   Space is terribly hard to come by in Manhattan
>> though.  I've had to RSVP for lots of stuff in Brooklyn too though.   I
>> don't like doing it, I don't like asking anyone else to do it either.
>> However, given the choice between there being an event or there being no
>> event, I don't find it's a difficult choice.    It has been many years
>> since the last of the holdouts against the RSVP list requirement at 590
>> Madison finally showed up there again anyway.  For good or bad, this is
>> one battle New Yorkers don't seem terribly inclined to fight.
>>

>>> And speaking of encouraging the surveillance mentality...
>>>
>>> I'd like to also voice a preference for meeting in places that don't
>>> require this kind of security theater [0].
>>>

>> Everyone has a preference for such places.  As an event organizer, when
>> there's an RSVP list involved, it's just more work and more aggravation
>> for the organizer, provided there isn't some fixed resource to dole out
>> to attendees.
>>

>>> If this list isn't published someplace in an RSS-ish form, maybe someone
>>> could do that, and than anyone who doesn't like SMTP can point their
>>> favorite feed reader at it to get the alerts instead of just subscribing
>>> to the list.
>>>

>> http://rss.debian-nyc.org/list.rss
>>

>>> [0] https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Security_theater
>>>

>> I don't think there's too many people who are confused about that.
>> I've been told by someone on this list (IIRC) that they use an
>> exceedingly old non-photo expired library card to gain admittance to the
>> buildings of NYC.  They play by the rules, I presume everyone winks, and
>> admittance is gained.
>>

> /me waves....
>
> speaking of RSVP, Ron, Nylug has one of those... Could it be used or adapted,
> if it was acceptable

There's a reason we're anxious to replace it.  We do however have
another one we use for WingFest/BeerFest, it's simple, and it's GPL.
That said, neither of them does all the "fancy" stuff Brian's talking
about, and that's a goal of the new system we're looking to create.
_That_ system will be developed and released as a community effort,
right now involving three LUGs, hopefully more groups will get involved
in it.

- Ron