Re: [Debian-NYC] Thoughts on Eventbrite.

Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 02/18/2011 01:59 PM, Brian Gupta wrote:
>
>> I understand that some people are opposed to RSVP lists for privacy
>> reasons, but the reality is we live in a post 2001 New York and many
>> groups meet in buildings that have rigid security policies, that
>> require a list of names for the front desk security

I wish it were as easy as simply choosing to meet in spaces that don't
require RSVP lists.   Space is terribly hard to come by in Manhattan
though.  I've had to RSVP for lots of stuff in Brooklyn too though.   I
don't like doing it, I don't like asking anyone else to do it either.
However, given the choice between there being an event or there being no
event, I don't find it's a difficult choice.    It has been many years
since the last of the holdouts against the RSVP list requirement at 590
Madison finally showed up there again anyway.  For good or bad, this is
one battle New Yorkers don't seem terribly inclined to fight.

> And speaking of encouraging the surveillance mentality...
>
> I'd like to also voice a preference for meeting in places that don't
> require this kind of security theater [0].

Everyone has a preference for such places.  As an event organizer, when
there's an RSVP list involved, it's just more work and more aggravation
for the organizer, provided there isn't some fixed resource to dole out
to attendees.

http://rss.debian-nyc.org/list.rss

> [0] https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Security_theater

I don't think there's too many people who are confused about that.
I've been told by someone on this list (IIRC) that they use an
exceedingly old non-photo expired library card to gain admittance to the
buildings of NYC.  They play by the rules, I presume everyone winks, and
admittance is gained.

- Ron