Re: [Debian-NYC] Thoughts on Eventbrite.

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 14:34:00 -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
> On 02/18/2011 01:59 PM, Brian Gupta wrote:
> > I understand that some people are opposed to RSVP lists for privacy
> > reasons, but the reality is we live in a post 2001 New York and many
> > groups meet in buildings that have rigid security policies, that
> > require a list of names for the front desk security.
>
> And speaking of encouraging the surveillance mentality...
>
> I'd like to also voice a preference for meeting in places that don't
> require this kind of security theater [0].

I share this preference.  Meeting spaces that require preregistration
and photo id are a drag.

SFLC has a conference room that we can make available for occasional
community use.  Somebody on staff would need to attend, or course.
Seating maxes out at around 15 people, and if people are flexible about
the definition of "chair" we can do a bit more than that.

We don't officially care who comes, nor will we keep attendance records,
but if I introduce myself and you refuse to tell me who you are, I am
likely to make fun of you.

Aside from that, we could make a list of bars that will give us wifi,
private space and tasty alcoholic beverages in return for money.  If you
pay in cash and wear a mask, nobody will ever know who you are.

Peace.

-J