Re: [Debian-NYC] Thoughts on Eventbrite.

Lee Azzarello wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor
> <dkg@fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
>
>> On 02/18/2011 01:59 PM, Brian Gupta wrote:
>>
>>> I understand that some people are opposed to RSVP lists for privacy
>>> reasons, but the reality is we live in a post 2001 New York and many
>>> groups meet in buildings that have rigid security policies, that
>>> require a list of names for the front desk security.
>>>
>> And speaking of encouraging the surveillance mentality...
>>
>> I'd like to also voice a preference for meeting in places that don't
>> require this kind of security theater [0].
>>

> The show must go on!
>
> But seriously, I remember a time when email worked well for organizing
> events. Email was sent, some people showed up, some people didn't.
> Just like IRL.

I remember too!  I wish it was still that world, because everything was
_so_ much easier then.

You know how easy it is to send an email?  Now try sending that same
message through the Facebook API.  Gads.  I wish I'd asked the Diaspora
guys about their API the other night...

- Ron