Re: [Debian-NYC] Workshop and BSP infrastructure

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 09:13:38PM -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 01/18/2010 06:32 PM, Richard Darst wrote:
> > Oh, that would be nice - perfect actually!  (it's neat that these are
> > going for $20 on ebay these days - makes me want to get one, except
> > that SheevaPlug is out now.
>
> SheevaPlugs are way sexier, but igor (my personal NSLU2 that i've been
> hacking on for a few years) has been good for:
>
>  * doing light debian armel development (no kernel rebuilds, but stuff
> like testing my own packages, making custom packages with my preferred
> options, and diagnosing alignment errors generated by gcc.
>
>  * playing music (via a USB audio device), offering mpd service
>
>  * taking low-res photos from a webcam
>
> i've also run NSLU2's as DNS servers and krb5 servers, but never under
> any really heavy load.

What would you say of using it for a shell server (mutt/irssi and the
like)?

What about packet routing?  Would it be CPU-limited running an openvpn
server (I'm guessing for high-bandwidth things, it would, and may
increase latency a bit too much...).

These things would be useful for me, but of course a Sheevaplug would
be "better" though more expensive/take longer to arrive.  For some
things, being able to have "spares" around would be nice, too.

- Richard