Re: [Debian-NYC] Favorite chroot-like build system

Hi Richard,

Very timely question for me ;-)  Just 2 days ago I was running around
trying to figure out how to install opensuse 11.2 in a chroot.
Apparently figuring it out is not that easy (at least for me).

Myself, I've been a user of schroot and indeed liked it but I am quite a
naive and sporadic user of it, so if you write up some impressions from
systematic user -- it would be great.

As for opensuse -- I was recommended on #debian IRC a package 'mach'.
Its description is:

,---
|  mach allows you to set up clean roots from scratch for any distribution or
|  distribution variation supported.
|  .
|  This clean build root can be used for several goals:
|   - making clean packages
|   - set up chroots for services to run it
|   - make disk images of clean roots (for example for UML)
|  .
|  Currently, mach works for rpm-based distributions that can work with apt
|  for rpm.
|  .
|  Included at this moment is the necessary information to set up:
|   - Fedora 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and development
|   - Red Hat 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 8, and 9
|   - CentOS 4
|   - Dave/Dina
|   - Conectiva 9
|   - SuSE 8.1, 8.2, and 9.0
|   - Yellowdog 2.3, and 3.0
|  .
|  Some handy features of mach include:
|   - "caching" of downloaded packages using the build hosts's apt
|     the build root
|   - ensures clean packages by reverting to the base set of build packages
|   - uses apt to resolve dependencies
|   - parsing of BuildRequires to install necessary packages for building
|   - build ordering when doing multiple builds
|   - support for flavours of distribution
|   - multiple build roots
|   - locking of buildroot to avoid concurrent builds
|   - optional signing of built packages
`---

I've not used it much but just few notes:

1. opensuse dist.d files were forgotten to be included in released
   tarballs -- get them from upstream CVS (mach2 module)

2. for some reason mach pulls in lots of depends via depending on apt and
   yum

3. upstream mailing list is full of spam (so you don't have to register to
   email it) BUT is active and was helpful for me at least.

I am yet to make more extensive use of it, but it seems to be working also
fine, and provides you not only in "jumping into root" facility but actual
chroot creation and maintenance.

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences