Re: [Debian-NYC] Workshop and BSP infrastructure

On Wednesday 20 January 2010, Richard Darst wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 09:13:38PM -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> > On 01/18/2010 06:32 PM, Richard Darst wrote:
> > > Oh, that would be nice - perfect actually!  (it's neat that these are
> > > going for $20 on ebay these days - makes me want to get one, except
> > > that SheevaPlug is out now.
> >
> > SheevaPlugs are way sexier, but igor (my personal NSLU2 that i've been
> > hacking on for a few years) has been good for:
> >
> >  * doing light debian armel development (no kernel rebuilds, but stuff
> > like testing my own packages, making custom packages with my preferred
> > options, and diagnosing alignment errors generated by gcc.
> >
> >  * playing music (via a USB audio device), offering mpd service
> >
> >  * taking low-res photos from a webcam
> >
> > i've also run NSLU2's as DNS servers and krb5 servers, but never under
> > any really heavy load.
>
> What would you say of using it for a shell server (mutt/irssi and the
> like)?

Yay. But for only one person.

> What about packet routing?  Would it be CPU-limited running an openvpn
> server (I'm guessing for high-bandwidth things, it would, and may
> increase latency a bit too much...).

Packet routing... maybe, with low traffic. A VPN, I wouldn't think so. These
issues are usually well discussed in http://www.nslu2-linux.org/ . This puppy
has been around for a while so what it can do and what it can't is sort of
well understood.

> These things would be useful for me, but of course a Sheevaplug would
> be "better" though more expensive/take longer to arrive.  For some
> things, being able to have "spares" around would be nice, too.

"take longer to arrive". What do you mean?

If you plan to buy a few for workshops, my only issue is that they look
maddeningly easy to steal and don't have any way to bolt them (without modding
them, of course). But then again, I care about those things ;-)

P.