Re: [Debian-NYC] This List

* Jay Sulzberger (jays@panix.com) wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, Benj. Mako Hill <mako@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm subscribed to this list because I want to be alerted to Debian
> > related events and get-togethers in New York City since I am frequently
> > in town and am willing to come into town for get-togethers.
> >
> > Currently, Debian-NYC seems to be the Jay Sulzberger event announcement
> > list about topics unrelated to Debian. In the past month and a half,
> > I've recieved nothing else.  If it continues, I'll unsubscribe from this
> > list. I think this is really too bad since I honestly am interested in
> > the topic for which the email lists supposedly exists.
> >
> > Jay, I've now watched this exact thread on three other mailing lists now
> > but I think it's time again: can you please refrain from repeatedly
> > sending non-Debian related emails to this Debian specific list?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mako
>
> Mako, what license New York City uses for health care records is
> a serious issue.  New York City should use only free software,
> and in particular, should use only free software for something so
> important as medical records.
>
> The announcement is dead on topic for this list.  Because Debian
> folk should show up at this and like hearings.  Else we lose by
> default these particular engagements.

That may be the case, but Debian is about creating a free operating
system. While many people in Debian might have some interest in these
issues, they are not about Debian or about a Debian event in New York,
so they are offtopic. There are other lists people can be on if
they're interested in these issues, and this kind of cross-posting is
considered poor netiquette.

--
Eric Dorland <eric@kuroneko.ca>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: hooty@jabber.com