Re: [Debian-NYC] This List

<quote who="Jay Sulzberger" date="Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 05:03:40PM -0500">
> Mako, what license New York City uses for health care records is
> a serious issue.  New York City should use only free software,
> and in particular, should use only free software for something so
> important as medical records.

I agree. It's important. I support this event and if I were in town I
would probably go. As I'm sure you know, I have gone to many events
you've advertised before.

> The announcement is dead on topic for this list.  Because Debian folk
> should show up at this and like hearings.

It's not on topic for this list. This is a list for Debian specific
event coordination. Everyone who has followed up so far agrees.

> Else we lose by default these particular engagements.

Then you should encourage those Debian folks that are interested to sign
up on a more general announcement list (maybe LYNX?) where these
messages will be on topic. I signed up on several more general lists and
thought it was useful.

I support your causes Jay. I *really* do. But cross-posting every event
everywhere that it might be even tangentially related annoys people,
keeps them from compartmentalizing and organizing their incoming emails
properly, and might even do you causes more harm than good.

Please try to respect other peoples ideas of on-topic and off-topic,
even if you don't agree with them. If you are making up 90% of the
traffic on a list without even contextualizing your message for the
community you are speaking to, your actions are going to be seen as
spamming and ultimately treated accordingly.

I think your causes are too important to suffer that fate. Please hold
off sending non-Debian related announcements to this list.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako@atdot.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far
as society is free to use the results. --GNU Manifesto