Re: Debian on RP 3

Quoting yogesh powar (2016-09-21 12:09:14)
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 3:23 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
>
> > Quoting yogesh powar (2016-09-21 06:43:32)

> > > There is no  formal requirement from the school as such but here is what
> > > think their basic requirement should be
> > >
> > >    1. Libre-office
> > >    2. Gimp/Dia
> > >    3. Logic Games
> > >    4. Internet
> >
> > Ok.  So desktop systems.
> >
> > How many? Is it one shared among teachers?  Or 10 computers in a lab
> > that students get to try once a year?  Or 1000 - every student get a
> > computer to take home and share with their family and neighbours?
> >
> :D. Not that big numbers. Also, we are tight on the budget side.
>
> Its a small school around 100-150 kids.
> We were thinking of 10 computers. So that might give like 10 students
> computer access for 1 hour, 40 for a day and 200 students for a week.
> Assuming
> 5 days a week).
>
> If the POC works for these 10 machine then many more can be donated.
>

> > What about connectivity? Do school already have fibre optics to the
> > internet? Or a modem dialup connection where students take turns to
> > check their mail once a week? Or will each computer come with a
> > cellphone and each student buy a cellphone plan out of their own pocket?
> > Or will you team up with Facebook and offer Free Basics?
> >
> No fibre optics. But dial-up connection could be setup.
> Checking mail once a week is a good Idea.
>
> No plan to team up with anybody.
>

> > What about sharing? Do school already run filesharing server that works
> > with Linux? Will you also setup and maintain a server? Will you rely on
> > bittorrent running on each client (and fighting for network bandwidth)?
> > Or will you rely on Facebook solving that with the censorship buil tinto
> > Free Basics? Or is sharing not relevant at that school?
> >
> File sharing server is not there and my personal opinion sharing is not
> relevant.

Thanks, I now have a much better feel for the scope of your project.

I strongly recommend that you "eat your own dog food": First try use the
system yourself for a while, before passing it on to student.  Using ARM
systems for desktop applications is possible but at the edge of what is
possible, so there is far less room for sloppy configuration than you
are used to on e.g. a conventional laptop - and your target users won't
be skilled to correct mistakes you missed to address before handing it
over to them!

 - Jonas