Re: Debian on RP 3

Quoting yogesh powar (2016-09-21 06:43:32)
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 8:39 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
> > Quoting yogesh powar (2016-09-20 20:39:31)
> > > I think RPis are famous but Debian has not endorsed it.
> > > Mainly because it requires Requires non-free blob [ref:
> > > https://wiki.debian.org/CheapServerBoxHardware]
> > >
> > > Apart from price another good point about RPi3 is it comes with WiFi
> > > on board.
> >
> > It would still help tremendously if you could elaborate on what your
> > actual use case for such a device is.
> >
> There is no  formal requirement from the school as such but here is what I
> think their basic requirement should be
>
>    1. Libre-office
>    2. Gimp/Dia
>    3. Logic Games
>    4. Internet

Ok.  So desktop systems.

How many? Is it one shared among teachers?  Or 10 computers in a lab
that students get to try once a year?  Or 1000 - every student get a
computer to take home and share with their family and neighbours?

What about connectivity? Do school already have fibre optics to the
internet? Or a modem dialup connection where students take turns to
check their mail once a week? Or will each computer come with a
cellphone and each student buy a cellphone plan out of their own pocket?
Or will you team up with Facebook and offer Free Basics?

What about sharing? Do school already run filesharing server that works
with Linux? Will you also setup and maintain a server? Will you rely on
bittorrent running on each client (and fighting for network bandwidth)?
Or will you rely on Facebook solving that with the censorship buil tinto
Free Basics? Or is sharing not relevant at that school?

> > Unlike much personal hacking, school use often involve many
> > concurrent users, which means it is more likely reach bottlenecks.
> >
> Do you mean the architecture where there is server and a few dumb
> terminals?

I mean whatever is necessary to support your use-case, which I still
know only very little about.

> Schools that I know, currently run Windows and there is no concept of
> concurrent users. So each system is independent and controlled/used by
> single user.

Ok.

> Only problem I have is OLinuXino's availability in India. Unlike RPis,
> they are not available on Amazon/Flipkart ;)
>
> BTW, LIME/2 doesn't seem to have support for VGA output. Need to find
> out screens with HDMI input or HDMI-VGA converter.

Olimex, the company behind OLinuXino, is present on IRC: You can try ask
about both use with VGA and delivery to India at #olimex on Freenet!

 - Jonas