Re: Debian on RP 3

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 9:31 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
Hi Yogesh,

Quoting yogesh powar (2016-09-20 17:12:06)
> Friend of mine and I would like to donate some of our
> effort/money/time providing computers at a primary school in a village
> in Goa.
>
> We were thinking of having Raspberry Pi -3 with Input/Output devices.
> But software/OS, we were thinking of having Gnu/Linux.
>
> Has any one tried Debian on RP3? Is Hamara Gnu/Linux endorsed by
> Debian?
>
> Let me know if anyone has tried out this setup in the school.

About your choice of hardware:

Please beware that Raspberry Pi, although popular, does not have good
quality hardware and cannot boot a Debian system (a non-free binary blob
is required).

Here's arguing at Hamara Linux, comparing price to OLinuXino devices:
http://lists.hamaralinux.org/pipermail/hamara-devel/2015-October/000817.html

Here's arguing at FreedomBox list about efficiency (and repeating some
of above):
https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2015-November/006944.html

Here's arguing at the Sugarlabs project about RPi3 and its non-free
blob: http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2016-June/018803.html

About school use:

I dearly recommend you to get in touch with others in India with
experience in this field.  I understand it is more fun to explore on
your own than aligning with the pace and mindset of others, but even
doing it alone you can _borrow_ ideas from others.

Here's mentioning at this list some contacts related to Debian and
schools:
https://lists.debian.org/146358438157.12244.5369055585253410483@auryn.jones.dk

About tinkering with tiny systems more generally:

Whether you choose to move on with RPi or pick another arguably superior
device, please consider joining the Debian Tinker blend team:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTinker

Hope that helps,

 - Jonas

 * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

 [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for the valuable information (mainly the ones thats embedded in the links). Will explore more about OSHW for finding an alternative RPi3.