Re: Report on First Debian user meetup in Bangalore

Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs@researchut.com> writes:

> On Sunday 05 October 2014 02:50 PM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
>
>     Users not using systemd have 2 options.
>
>     1) Use packages like prevent-systemd or systemd-must-die from the
>     wookware archive. http://wookware.org/software/repo/
>     This former will still make systemd installed. The latter denies
>     systemd installation which also makes the above mentioned packages
>     dropped.
>
>     2) Find (or write your own) equivalents of polkit and udisks2,
>     which can fill in the gaps for those use cases.
>
> For Option 2, to start with, we can look at building a stripped down
> equivalent of udisks2. Linux kernel is event based. For all devices
> that are added / removed / changed, the kernel emits an event. The
> kernel's event propagating tool is udev. There is a library in Python,
> python-pyudev, which could be used to write a GUI tool, to act on
> these events and provide the user with an interface accordingly.
>
> http://pyudev.readthedocs.org/en/v0.16/guide.html
> ...     print('{0} ({1})'.format(device.device_node, device.get('ID_FS_TYPE')))
> /dev/sda1 (ext3)
> /dev/sda2 (swap)
> /dev/sda3 (ext4)

Thanks for the pointer Ritesh. I will start looking into this and play
around a bit.

> I am not sure what options we have in the kFreeBSD world. Perhaps
> Deepak can shed some light.

Probably Deepak is having some trouble mailing to debian-dug-in he said
yesterday his mail never comes in and it gets rejected. Probably he can
Cc us and we can forward it to the mailing list.

--
Vasudev Kamath
http://copyninja.info