Report on First Debian user meetup in Bangalore

[please keep debian-bdug-list@meetup.com in Cc as I'm trying to bridge
both group together]

Hello,

We had our first ever Debian user meetup in Bangalore this Saturday (4th
October). FSMK (Free Software Movement Karnataka) provided us space for
meetup. We had about 10 people in the meetup, though larger number had
RSVPed for the same. Probably people didn't  show up as it was a long
weekend.

We had Ritesh and Deepak, DD's from Bangalore and they really did a
great job. We started with introduction where every one talked why they
are/want to use Debian and how they came to know about Debian. Ritesh
Deepak and myself were last to tell our experience.

Then I continued with my informal session on "Contributing to Debian",
Ritesh and Deepak helped a lot by explaining philosophies and technical
things behind Debian.

We had some interesting discussion at the end where Ritesh told about
kickstarting a project which can allow people to mount things, use
network, or power manager irrespective of the init system. Currently
after systemd became default people using non Gnome are facing issue
with power-manager automounting etc. It has now become in Linux word
like do it in *systemd* way or just get lost. We don't like such
attitude and we want Debian to be usable by any one not just Gnome
systemd, people should be able to use Xfce or KDE or even window manager
of choice.

@Ritesh I just tried to summarize your ideas but if I've got something
wrong please feel free to jump in and correct things :).

At end Ritesh talked briefly about Keys, signing process and web of
trust and why people shouldn't blindly sign keys just after verifying a
ID.

Overall it was great meetup and I enjoyed it a lot. The slides which I
used for meetup and a recording (Audio) is lying on my server at [1]

People at meetup group feel free to jump in  and add your
experience!. Do keep debian-dug-in@lists.debian.org in Cc while
replying.

[1] http://talks.copyninja.info/debian/bangalore-meetup/4th_October/

Cheers,