Re: Report on First Debian user meetup in Bangalore

On Sunday 05 October 2014 09:50 AM, Vasudev Kamath wrote:
We had some interesting discussion at the end where Ritesh told about
kickstarting a project which can allow people to mount things, use
network, or power manager irrespective of the init system. Currently
after systemd became default people using non Gnome are facing issue
with power-manager automounting etc. It has now become in Linux word
like do it in *systemd* way or just get lost. We don't like such
attitude and we want Debian to be usable by any one not just Gnome
systemd, people should be able to use Xfce or KDE or even window manager
of choice.

@Ritesh I just tried to summarize your ideas but if I've got something
wrong please feel free to jump in and correct things :).

udisks2 and policykit-1 are examples of packages that are broken without systemd. There may be more but these are I can find right now.

kde-plasma-desktop => udisks2 => libpam-systemd => systemd
kde-workspace-bin => polkit-kde-1 => policykit-1 => libpam-systemd => systemd

These are examples, based on my desktop environment. You may be able to substitute it with yours.

udisks2 is used to detect block devices and polkit to determine policy for privileges.

Users not using systemd have 2 options.

1) Use packages like prevent-systemd or systemd-must-die from the wookware archive. http://wookware.org/software/repo/
This former will still make systemd installed. The latter denies systemd installation which also makes the above mentioned packages dropped.

2) Find (or write your own) equivalents of polkit and udisks2, which can fill in the gaps for those use cases.

I am not sure how the desktop users of kFreeBSD are working out these problems. Probably, on kFreeBSD, the depndency on udisks/libpam-systemd is non-existent.

--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com