Re: Suggestion to overlook funnel for MiniDebConf '14

at bottom :-

On 7/13/14, Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org> wrote:
> [if you are already in the mailing list, drop your cc when you reply]
>
> On Saturday 12 July 2014 09:55 PM, R.Harish Navnit wrote:
>> We can make arrangements for that. Can't we use the website for doing
>> this ?
>
> If we are not going for funnel, we need some volunteers to do a simple
> registration form for speakers as well as delegates. We have been trying
> to build this for last many years, but it never got to a usable form.
>
> You can see the previous attempt here
> https://gitorious.org/minidebconfindia/metoo I don't know how complete
> or incomplete it is. Can someone give it a try?
>
>> Ideally, we should have all kinds of talks. Like I mentioned earlier,
>> it'd be nice to see the list of speakers from the Debian community
>> first. Praveen could give an insight on the same.
>
> Once the registration site is ready, lets give a call for papers far and
> wide. We can always invite people we know personally as well.
>
>>     I don't see this being an issue. For instance if it's possible to
>>     invite I would like to invite the following people (in addition to
>>     Praveen or whoever else has ideas.)
>
> Sooraj Kenoth on shakhi.org
> Balasankar on diaspora (introduction)
> Manukrishnan on hosting diaspora (podmin view)
> Ershad/Abhineet on ruby on rails/ contributing to diaspora code
> Akhil on Access to Knowledge and Aaron Schwartz
> Praveen Sridhar on firefox os (and his gsoc project)
> actually we should invite all smc gsoc students to present their work
> Vasudev Kamath/Kartik Mistry on debian-in
> Manoj/Hrishi on wiki projects
> Anivar on surveillance and internet freedom
>

>>     We also need somebody to do the opening keynote. Dr. Mani did an
>>     excellent job last year although he was a bit long. Should we call
>> him
>>     or somebody else ?
>>
>> Let's see what Praveen or for that matter of fact anyone else from the
>> community has to say.
>
> Krishnakant Mane, Nagarjuna G, Niyam Bhushan, Venkatesh Hariharan,
> Karunakar G, Baiju M, V Sasi Kumar, Anoop John. There many more to list.

Hi all,
Please treat Praveen's mail as invitation for the minidebconf we are
going to have in October (probably in the 2nd week or thereafter,
dates to be known in couple of days), please let us know who of you
has or make a free window to come down to Amritapuri, Kerala in the
month of October. We should be able to share the dates by the 16th of
this month.

On a side note, can people recommend any blender developers or/and
users who could show off blender and perhaps some of the 2D graphics
tools as well ?

Blender has been having lot of great news lately, especially after the
launch of gooseberry project which was launched earlier this year.

Just today came to know that the people behind Unreal Engine (Epic
Games) have donated 10K Euros to blender

https://twitter.com/tonroosendaal/status/485431565447868416

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?16011-Epic-Donates-to-the-Blender-Foundation&s=372c21cfcc9236bfb96d3622c3a05e81&p=91427&viewfull=1#post91427

"EpicGames donates 10k euro (13.5k usd) to Blender Development Fund.
Is support for more FBX work + epic-game-style nagivation controls"

While the amount is not that great (vis-a-vis for what they are
targetting for cloudberry) but is still significant as Unreal Engine
has been used in lot of games.

Here's a notable (notice the word notable) list from wikipedia :-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

Looking foward to know the positions of various speakers vis-a-vis
their October plans.