Re: [Mini DebConf India] Not coming to Mangalore debconf 28th -29th/30th October 2011.

At bottom :-

2011/9/4 Praveen A <pravi.a@gmail.com>:
> I would be coming too. Let's wait two days and see who else is coming from
> Pune, it would be fun if all of us go together. Anyone else planning to come
> from Pune?

<snipped>

Hi Praveen,
           I did not want to wait for 2 days as tickets do become hard
to come by during Diwali (festival) season . IIRC Madgaon/Goa the
season starts around that time going all the way upto February.

So finished my tickets and this is what  I got :-

 12780 - Pune to Madgaon (Goa Express) 26th October 2011 - 16:30 - 5:40 a.m.

 16311 - Madgaon to Mangalore (+BKN KCVL EXPRESS) 27th October 2011-
9:25 - 15:55

 Coming back  I got the direct trains from Mangalore to Pune but of 1st.

 12159 - ERS Pune Express - Mangalore Junction - Pune 01st November
2011  12:35 - 5:50 .

One less thing to stress/think about. Now to think of topics which
would be cool/instructive for people.

Atleast couple of topics I already know that I want to play/share :-

a. Do the installfest - As from whatever I have heard so far there
hasn't been a proper installfest. Do it both this time, both with the
graphical GUI and the expert install so students know and do see each
for what they give.

It would be nice if we have couple of 8 GB sticks or something so we
can show the debian-installer in all its glory.

We could also show off debian-live which unfortunately we were not
able to show in the Pune minidebconf due to lack of time and planning.

I do hope that the mangalore guys do get few of the .iso images
downloaded and burnt. If not possible please let me know in advance as
I can download all the .iso images and burn it to few DVD's if needed.
(but would need prior information).

Also have both 32 and 64-bit variations . This way we can cover old
machines as well.

b. Desktop transitions :- I like/love GNOME so I would like to share
the current GNOME 3 transition. If needed I could also cover the
ongoing KDE 4.6 ~ 4.7 transition as well as the ok/good/bad experience
with Enlightenment (E17).  Playing essentially with multiple desktop
environments.

c. Jigdo :- I love jigdo quite a bit and do find it sad that its in
maintainance mode. Maybe we could get some people to hack on it.

d. debian-bts-applet :-  I love this desktop applet but really hate
that it does not give good desktop experience. The python-btsutils has
a big bug against it. Maybe ask people if they can work on that bug
or/and move the app. to use something like python-debianbts . I
frankly do not have much knowledge on this but do love what
debian-bts-applet represents and do have some ideas (wishlist bugs)
how it can be further improved. Maybe get some of the guys involved in
that.

e. Gaming and packaging good game engines :- I love games (RPG's and
strategies get me) so getting good game engines in . I could also
frame the whole free creative artworks debate using Nina Paley and
Cory Doctorow as well and what they bring to the table.

Of the above, a. and b. I would be doing of course. Of the remaining
three others would need to chime in.

Last but not the least I would be pontificating one and all wherever
any help is required.

Looking forward to feedback from you all. Especially vasudev as you
are our man on the ground so you know the best.
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17