Re: New translators workflow

Hi

Dne Mon, 3 Nov 2014 23:47:46 +0100
Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> napsal(a):

> On Mon, 03 Nov 2014, Sébastien POHER wrote:
> > - I think Weblate will fit for smaller translations (Debian Security
> > Annoucement and such), but dpkg is huge (+22K lines for man/po/fr.po)
> > and I don't see myself going from an untranslated chain to another by
> > clicking a hundred times;
>
> There must be some way to display only untranslated/fuzzy strings, no?

Sure there is, you can go only through not translated or fuzzy strings,
see for example translation of phpMyAdmin documentation (which is
about similar size as you've mentioned):

https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/phpmyadmin/documentation/cs/

> > - Weblate is good for team translation, but when Raphaël "recruted" me,
> > he wanted French translation to be under the responsibility of one
> > person (eventually with a co-translator). I agree with it as it improves
> > the coherence of the translation;
>
> If you're the sole person working on that translation, then you're fine.
> :)
>
> If more people are spontaneously joining (which happened more than once
> to some translations of the Debian Handbook), then yes the might be some
> need to differentiate between people who can only make suggestions of
> changes and the people who can actually do changes. I don't know if you a
> clean way to review all strings submitted/changes by other persons than
> you.

If you want to have tight control over translation process, then having
some web based tool does not help that much (though many translators
still find it nicer than working locally). On the other side if you
want to lower barrier for translation contributions, having something
easy to use is helpful.

> > - Weblate is a kind of SaaS that requires to be online to work, I am not
> > always connected and I'd rather keep my work on my computer then share
> > it to others for review "when it's ready".
>
> IIRC you can download a .po file and upload it back to Weblate.

Yes it support that:

http://docs.weblate.org/en/latest/user/translating.html#export-and-import