Re: New translators workflow

Hi,

Le samedi 01 novembre 2014 à 02:59:25, Guillem Jover a écrit :
> > Le mercredi 29 octobre 2014 à 03:49:59, Guillem Jover a écrit :
> > > I'm wondering too if translators might find it easier to work from
> > > something like a weblate instance, which then I could pull from time
> > > to time?
> >
> > I won't answer for other French translators as I am a new comer but I
> > find this kind of tool very handy. It eases the process of translation,
> > review and it makes the translation status clearer.
>
> Ok cool, I guess I'll be asking this explicitly to all dpkg translators,
> to check if it makes sense to add such setup for the 1.18.x cycle.

I took a closer look at Weblate and I don't know if it will fit for dpkg translation.
Here are just a few remarks that you might want to consider:

- I think Weblate will fit for smaller translations (Debian Security Annoucement and such), but dpkg is huge (+22K lines for man/po/fr.po) and I don't see myself going from an untranslated chain to another by clicking a hundred times;
- Weblate is good for team translation, but when Raphaël "recruted" me, he wanted French translation to be under the responsibility of one person (eventually with a co-translator). I agree with it as it improves the coherence of the translation;
- Weblate is a kind of SaaS that requires to be online to work, I am not always connected and I'd rather keep my work on my computer then share it to others for review "when it's ready".

Regards,

--
Sébastien Poher
www.volted.net