Re: Some upcoming dpkg changes, test and feedback welcome

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> Sorry for again joining in late in the distribution, but what is the use
> case of this field exactly?

ifeq($(DEB_DISTRIBUTION),unstable)
    $(error GNOME 3 packages should be uploaded to experimental)
endif

Or rather:
ifneq(,$(filter unstable,$(DEB_DISTRIBUTION)))
    $(error GNOME 3 packages should be uploaded to experimental)
endif

That's the main use case I referred to.

We can imagine more use cases in the context of other distributions than
Debian. Ubuntu for example could want to adjust the behaviour when
targetting a source packages for an older release (since they always use
the codename in that field).

> Currently I can only see possible abuses but no proper uses for it, so
> unless there is something I miss, I'd rather request that variable to
> be removed, as it can only harm.

What kind of abuses do you see?

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)