Re: More typos in new man pages

Quoting Helge Kreutzmann (debian@helgefjell.de):

> > Helge, it would be nice if you can also take care to unfuzzy PO
> > translations as well and update the PO files in the repository as soon
> > of you commit a change to the original man pages.
>
> I heard that I have to be a little careful, so just to avoid errors,
> could you give me a link or just write down the steps once, like in
> the general readme for translators? (Sorry if it is already there, I'm
> not at my local machine).

OK, that's indeed simple.

Let's assume you fix a typo in a source file (either man page, source
code, debconf templates, whatever...): you replace "foo" by "bar".

All you need is to replace it in PO files *before* running whatever
updates them (po4a for man pages, make for source code,
debconf-updatepo for debconf templates).

My method is just running 'sed' on PO files:

mkdir NEW
for i in *.po ; do
  sed 's/foo/bar/g' $i >NEW/$i
done

Of course, you have to make sure that you only replace "foo" in PO
files at the only place it was in the source file. I generally provide
some "context" to make this sure. Using grep before doing so also
helps..:)

I generally prefer using sed and redirect its output in a new file so
that I can better spot mistakes. In theory, "sed -i" could be possible.

Then only, I run whatever will update the PO files and, as you first
changed the msgids, no fuzzy string should appear.

> > I know you'll probably cope with German translations but the French
> > team has work in progress as well( fingers crossed) and it would be
> > good to keep it in sync with changes in original strings.
>
> Yes, such help is also welcome the other way round when that is
> relevant.
>
> Btw. there is a plan how to deal with those translations which do no
> even manage to get their translation header right? Should I try to

Plan, not really. Actually, nothing is really mandatory in many fields
of the PO files headers...but getting them right would be good.

> contact (all) translators and ask them to update their translation, and if
> so, what would be the time frame for Lenny?

Depends on packages. As dpkg is in the base system, it is frozen
now....so not many uploads will happen but I'm sure that maintainers
are OK for a few updates until lenny, which is scheduled for
September.