Re: 3.0 (git) "experimental"

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 10:04:03AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Could the maintainers clarify what criteria are used to mark a given source
> > format such as 3.0 (git) as "experimental"?
> > I hope it doesn't come down to one member of the dpkg team's personal
> > preference.
> Well, I wrote the manual page, so it was my decision but I believe it's
> backed up by my opinion and the one expressed by Guillem:
> Instead I chose to mark them as experimental to show that we don't believe
> that they are ready to be used in large-scale (like, say, on ftp-master).

Uh, whether they're ready to use on ftp-master isn't up to just the dpkg
team. And if that were the reason to mark them experimental, then Format:
2.0, Format: 3.0 (native), Format: 3.0 (quilt) and Format: 3.0 (custom)
should all have been marked experimental too.

The custom format in particular is unlikely to ever be accepted, it
seems to me; I suspect 2.0 is entirely obsolete at this point; and for
most packages, it's better to choose "1.0" over "3.0 (native)" because
it can be unpacked by more people; which mostly leaves the manpage
promoting "quilt" as the bestest version control format over git and
bzr. Not impressive.

Heck, in /my/ opinion, all of 2.0, native, quilt and custom are less
likely to be accepted on ftp-master as they currently stand -- native
git and bzr support is a much bigger win than any of the others over
what we can currently do.

A fairer summary would seem to be:

	Format: 1.0
		Default format. (native and orig+diff)

	Format: 2.0
		Obsolete experimental format.

	Format: 3.0 (git), (bzr), (quilt)
		Native support for the git, bzr and quilt version control
		systems.

	Format: 3.0 (native)
		Expansion of 1.0 native format to support more compression
		types.

	Format: 3.0 (custom)
		For experimentation with new formats.

Cheers,