Re: merging dselect bugs resulting from "dpkg -iGROEB"

Hi,

Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> I still use dselect with dpkg-ftp on all of my Debian systems,
> including the one I'm writing this mail on and my colo, chiark.
> It works just fine.  I do have to nursemaid it a bit, particularly
> when the dependencies are broken.

OK, I stand corrected. I would find it a bit weird, though, that someone
starts working again on access methods other than APT, because that
would sound to me as duplicating work. I mean, dpkg fulfills the most
low-level role, and is the only tool to do that; then, the next step in
the chain is delegated to APT (right, in most cases, but not yours),
then the next one (which is usually the last one) to
dselect/aptitude/whatever.

Therefore, working on other access methods than APT means working on
another handler for the second layer, while the usual handler (APT) is
not much criticized, AFAIS (I hope I am clear enough). Of course, this
makes sense if someone thinks he can do much better than APT by
rewriting it...

> I use dpkg -iGROEB on the dpkg-ftp download area without problem, too.

Sorry for my ignorance, what is this "dpkg-ftp download area", if you
don't mind explaining a bit?..

--
Florent