Re: DR2: help request on guessnet and ifupdown-extra for network

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 10:22:43PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to update "Debia Reference" to etch/lenny era and I wanted
> to include description on guess net and ifupdown-extra.

As for ifupdown-extra I think it's pretty well covered, you mention the
'network-test' script as well as the hooks for ifupdown.

The only thing that might need mentioning is that the errors that
ifupdown-extra finds (unreachable gateway, no link, duplicate IP address) are
reported either through the standard error or through syslog. The behaviour
is configured through /etc/default/network-test and defaults to syslog.

This is very useful for headless servers (so you can debug issues which might
have happened in the past, for example when it was starting up by looking at
syslog) but some people might want to have it print errors in standard
output.

Also worthwhile commenting that some of these checks slow down a little bit
the system bootup since it takes some time to listen for ARP replies to see
if somebody is out there with your same IP address. The behaviour is, again,
configurable through /etc/default/network-test to reduce the impact.

Regards

Javier