Re: Switching from CVS to something else (debian-doc & debian-www)

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Committed patch 673 (origin +0000 2001-08-11 05:16:27)
> fatal: You don't exist. Go away!
> Use of uninitialized value in chomp at /usr/bin/git-cvsimport line 758.
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /usr/bin/git-cvsimport line 519.
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/git-cvsimport line 759.
> Cannot get commit id ():
>
> (Well, this is from alioth. It fails earlier from my home since my ssh
> connection is reset by peer.)

Ok, this is totally unrelated to git-cvsimport. This is a bug that affects
Alioth because we use nss_updatedb and all users disappear for a second
every 30 minutes. This causes troubles for long-lasting processes like
this one. We're in contact with nss-updatedb maintainer to fix it but
we're not yet done. nscd is supposed to minimize that problem but nscd
itself is buggy and tends to crash or causes other problems. I just
restarted nscd on Alioth, maybe your next try will work. :)

Try the conversion on another machine and it should work in any case.

Also note that I've been recommended usage of "parsecvs" instead of
git-cvsimport but I never tried it.
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/keithp/parsecvs.git

See comments on this blog entry:
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2007/07/24/assembling-bits-of-history-with-git/