Re: Switching from CVS to something else

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 07:46:26PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Alioth also supports CVS, so if you want to keep CVS, you can do that as
> > well. But I encourage you to switch to something else and I can help you to
> > convert the repository if needed.
>
> I would like the history of commits to be preserved as it is sometimes
> necessary to dig contributor's information [1]. Can that be easily preserved
> when switching to a different CVS?

Yes. See the package "tailor".

Svn also offers facilities to import history coming from another svn
repository even after the initial creation. Someone documented this to
import external history in the existing collab-maint repository when
moving from a private svn server to the public collab-maint one.
http://wiki.debian.org/AliothCollabMaintImport

Obviously the same can be done for any document that you want to
integrate. You just need to use tailor to create a SVN repository and then
use svnadmin dump, svndumpfilter and svnadmin load to get the desired
effect.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog