Re: Debian Installer Manual structure and build tools

On Mar 03, 2005 at 09:07:01AM +0100, Jens Seidel wrote:

> >>In debiandoc-sgml to PDF conversion script, we got decent non-ISO-1
> >>language support (Russian and Polish) just changing generated LaTeX
> >>source starting section.
> >No problem at all at the moment with db2latex-xsl.
> Nice to see that LaTeX is now supported as well. The last time I looked at
> the .tex code of d-i manual (one or two months ago?) it was a TeX file
> and this is much harder to support.

It's been JadeTeX since Oldenburg meeting....

> >>In both cases, LaTeX sorce needs a bit of care by the guru like Jens.
> >Who's Jens? ;) I sure hope he can join us, as we'll definitely need some
> >LaTeX help, I've managed to hack something together, but I wouldn't call
> >be a guru.
> That's me. I would not say I'm a LaTeX guru but I'm a mathematician and
> used LaTeX in the past very often.

But you seem to be the guru of the debian reference team - I'm the one of
the two-head d-i-manual team ;) So I guess we can work together.... Maybe
a personal contant would be good - in German then.

> PS: I know about a unicode package for LaTeX. I thing the name is ucs
> or similar. I added a few of these information to a debiandoc-sgml bug
> report (one of these, which were closed with the last version).

The biggest problem of this package is that it's rather non-unicode, i.e.
to be usable for several languages, constructs like \beginlanguage{greek} are
needed, which are rather impossible to generate for multi-language
documents. The bigger problem is hyphenation in CJK, which is perfectly
done by cjk-latex, but again it's designed for legacy encodings.....

> I do not know the current situation well enough. I will look at the source
> and see how I can help (don't know much about XSLT, ...).

XSLT is fun, as a mathematician you should have little problems with it ;)

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org