Re: Release Notes available for translation

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 10:29:09PM +0100, Rob Bradford wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 10:05:14PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> >
> > (CC'ing d-boot; however, I propose to keep the discussion on d-doc.)
> >
> > IMHO a call for translation of the Release Notes is a bit premature.
> >
> > I have just downloaded the latest English version from [1] with the
> > intention of starting a Dutch translation.
> > A quick scan gave me the impression that the main text of the release notes
> > still refers more to Woody than to Sarge. At the bottom of the mail I have
> > copied some examples of this.
> > I seems a shame to start a new translation while a significant part of the
> > text needs rewriting.
>
> Oh. Now thats interesting, i made some significant changes to the
> release notes. For instance the sections on using dselect and apt-get
> were both replaced with a single version documenting aptitude. You'd be
> suprised how much of this document goes back to potato and before.
>
> > Besides that general point, I have some observations and suggestions.
> > - - PowerPC will be installed with kernel 2.6.8 by default.
>
> No one had been able to give me a straight answer on this. Thanks for
> letting me know.

Bah, you obviously didn't follow this clear enough :) We switched to 2.6 kernels
by default on powerpc even prior to RC1 i think. Only oldworld miboot floppies
are still problematic. apus is being dropped though, so this should make it in
the Release Notes i think. I believe there where something like 3 users left,
and the kernels in sarge probably didn't work on apus anyway.

Maybe it would be worth mentioning full support for the Pegasos boards, since
this is new previously unsupported hardware ? G5 pmacs and power3/4 hardware
where also not supported by woody, i think.

> > - - The alternative kernel for i386 will be 2.6.8 (not 2.6.7).
>
> When i checked the package database the other day i thought i only saw
> 2.6.7 available for testing.
>
> Both the above are now being fixed.

On all arches, sarge will release with 2.4.27 as a 2.4 kernel and 2.6.8 as a
2.6 kernel on the arches which support it. All will default to 2.4 except
powerpc. There is at least m68k still using 2.2 kernels.

Friendly,

Sven Luther