Re: Release Notes available for translation

(CC'ing d-boot; however, I propose to keep the discussion on d-doc.)

IMHO a call for translation of the Release Notes is a bit premature.

I have just downloaded the latest English version from [1] with the
intention of starting a Dutch translation.
A quick scan gave me the impression that the main text of the release notes
still refers more to Woody than to Sarge. At the bottom of the mail I have
copied some examples of this.
I seems a shame to start a new translation while a significant part of the
text needs rewriting.

Besides that general point, I have some observations and suggestions.
- - PowerPC will be installed with kernel 2.6.8 by default.
- - The alternative kernel for i386 will be 2.6.8 (not 2.6.7).
- - Have the update instructions been checked for an update from
  Woody to Sarge? What package tool is preferred for the upgrade:
  apt-get, dselect (don't think so), aptitude?
- - I think something i386 support in Sarge should be mentioned.
- - Would it be possible to split of the lists of old/new/etc. packages
  from the main en.sgml file and include the lists only at build time?
  This would make things a lot easier for translators.

Note: This mail is not intended to put down the work that has been done on
the RN, it is greatly appreciated. However, I am concerned about the state
of the RN now that the release of Sarge is approaching.

[1] http://cvs.debian.org/ddp/manuals.sgml/release-notes/en/
    release-notes.en.sgml?only_with_tag=sarge&cvsroot=debian-doc
    (version 1.1.2.9)

Cheers,
FJP

Selection of paragraphs that seem to refer to Woody and not Sarge

The 2.2 kernel series has been updated and developed extensively introducing
several valuable changes both in the kernel and in other programs based on
kernel features, along with a whole slew of new hardware drivers and bug
fixes for existing drivers.

A 2.4 kernel is also included in this release for optional installation by
users. Although the 2.4 branch is considered by the kernel developers to be
a stable kernel branch, the &debian; release team judged it not to have
reached sufficient maturity for inclusion as the default kernel in this
release.
<Outdated>

The new <package>debootstrap</package> tool downloads, unpacks and extracts
&debian; packages for the base system installation. This is an improvement
over the previous installation system which used a tarball containing the
base system. The installation base system can be updated more dynamically
with this system.
<This should be about Debian Installer>

The task system has been revamped. Tasks in the previous release consisted
of meta packages (packages which are simply collections of other packages).
The new system uses special headers within the existing package system to
designate any tasks to which each package may belong.
This allows greater selection of tasks and it is much easier to only install
selected components of tasks, instead of the whole thing.
<There is a completely different tasksel now>

Kernel images are available in various \"flavors\". These flavors each
support a different set of hardware. The flavors available in &debian;
&release; for &arch-title; are:
<and subsequent list>
<Flavors have been replaced by better hardware-detection; i386 still has the
speakup flavor>

At install time, the kernel used is &kernelversion;, however a 2.4 kernel,
the latest stable branch is included for those who wish to benefit from it.
<Alternative kernel is 2.6.8>

The Debian package management tools apt and dpkg have been improved
considerably in this release. Now apt supports \"pinning\" in which the user
can opt to download certain packages from different distributions, e.g.
testing or unstable, while still keeping the bulk of packages in the stable
distribution. APT will automagically download and install appropriate
dependent packages from the advanced distribution as required. An <url id=
\"&url-apt-pin-howto;\" name='APT \"pinning\" howto'> is available.
<This is old news>

This release of &debian; contains the much improved XFree86 4.1 release,
which includes support for a greater range of hardware, better autodetection
support, and improved support for advanced technologies such as Xinerama and
3D acceleration. XFree86 3.3.6 is available as an option, to support older
hardware that is not supported by XFree86 4.1.
<Outdated>

For the first time, &debian; includes several full featured free graphical
web browsers in the form of Mozilla, Galeon and Konqueror. With the
inclusion of KDE 2.2 for the first time, as well as the new GNOME 1.4
release, Debian's desktop provision has been radically improved.
<Well, the second time>

The version of m4 in woody does not run on Linux kernels from the 2.0
series. It is therefore strongly recommended that users of sendmail upgrade
to a 2.2 series or better Linux kernel before proceeding with the upgrade.
<Irrelevant for Sarge>