Re: Fwd: Rejecting NM applicant Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 09:38:52AM +0200, David N. Welton wrote:
> As someone said, the process selects for people that are good at
> dealing with beaurocracy.
>
> I would like to see a meritocracy.  You do good things (making .deb's,
> helping out), you get added.  It would waste people's time less,
> because applicants who weren't ready wouldn't get added, and those who
> were would be invited.

How do you suppose we organize and maintain this? This sentiment appeals to
me as much as it does to anyone else, but Debian is too large to be able to
work without a carefully organized structure. "You do good things, you get
added" doesn't explain how exactly we deal with people. Debian simply cannot
be based entirely on instincts. In fact, the very next thing that comes to
my mind with such an approach is that people's privileges would be revocable
in the same way, and that's a very slippery slope (Gentoo fork, anyone?).

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.