Re: concerning debian-reference and the necessity for the competitors

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 10:58:43AM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 01:58:02PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 02:00:10PM -0500, John Pisini wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > > Also synchronization with Chris/Adams's activity for Sarge Install Manual
> > > and merging useful contents from John Goerzen's Guide are something we
> > > want to see.  Have you read it?
> > > <snip>
> > > I have not been able to locate either document as of yet does anyone
> > > have a link?
> >
> > I don't know where this sarge installation manual would be, but John
> > Goerzen's document is in the debian-guide package.

Web link listed on this thread :-)
  http://ceu.fi.udc.es/docs/debian-user-guide_1.0/

> $ wc sarge_install_manual
> 0      0      0   sarge_install_manual

Yes.

> But I'm thinking of doing some work on the Progeny manual, which would
> eventually become that. Osamu, you converted it to debian-doc, but are
> the tools ready now to reconvert it to xml? We should use current
> tools that really support figures.

I think it it ready but you need to add graphics by manually and tables
by manually.  I do not have build script yet in my hand.

I think it will be nice to have following document with clearly defined
non-overlapping focuses and contents.

IMHO, current install guide is too thick and deals too much of special
cases.  Those special cases should be in its appendixes or in a separate
technical reference.

1. Debian (Newbie) Install Guide (50 pages)
 Focus on CD install with some netinstall information
 Assumes no previous computer experience
 Add some dual boot information
 Up to getting command prompt
 Basically progeny manual
   (up to getting console screen or xdm)

2. Debian Newbie Admin Guide (Max 200 pages)
 Assumes no previous computer experience
 Basic Unix file system and command tutorials
 Mix good parts from John's guide and Hands-on Guide
   (I like John's file permission things and already stole it)
 From install to get KDE/GNOME/WMaker/Fluxbox desktop :-)
 Separation of this from above install guide should help maintainability.
 Basically progeny manual
   (Some contents to guide user to set up system after console screen up
   to running vim, emacs, mozzila, abiword, gnumeric and, not least,
   working printer with GS along the style of "hands-on guide" is
   desirable.  No server side daemon things except mail set up possibly
   with ssmtp or nullmailer.  For this, recommend to initially install
   exim with option 5. Some information on tweaking .xsession is useful.)
   I am wondering whether we get response from hands-on document author.

3. Debian Install Technical Reference (Max 200 pages, could be web only)
 All special case scenario should be here
  tftp install,
  special kernel boot disk, PGI installer thing shall be here
  Assumes basic unix skills.
  knopix based install scheme
  This could be a part of Install Guide such as appendix which can be
  turned off by build script.

4. Debian Reference (It's short version, Debian Quick Reference)
  Collection of all basic administration related tips and hints.
  Assumes basic unix skills.
  (Most contents in Chapter 2 overlap with FAQ.  FAQ is newer but
  convenient to have duplicates here.)

5. Securing Debian Manual
  Collection of all security conscious administration related tips and
  hints.
  Assumes extensive unix skills.

What I can offer:
 Continue "Debian Reference" (now, next step po-debiandoc)
Also I may be able to help:
 converting Progeny manual to XML automatically. (3-6 month)
 converting John's manual (mostly console introduction) to baseline
 XML by hand. (6-12 month)
if others will push these to new XML based documents and request my help
on converting current ones to XML.

For now, I am spending time to possibly improve aptitude categorical
browser.  I do not have tome to set up build script for XML text
processing.

More on debiandoc-to-docbookxml conversion

  http://cvs.debian.org/ddp/utils/debiandoc-to-docbook/?cvsroot=debian-doc

        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract