Re: /doc layout in ftp.debian.org [was: Documentation provided in the Woody CDs (should be fixed)]

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 12:51:49PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> >   * he put the language choice before the exact document choice.
> >     I.e. once you pick a section, you get to pick the language, and then
> >     the specific document. I think you should get to pick the section,
> >     the document and then the language.
>
> Doesn't webwml have the language at the very top level? That's what I
> think makes most sense from a user's point of view; it allows the option
> of seeing document titles / subdirectories / indexes in the native tongue.
> For non-English speakers, that would be a big plus.
>
> I know this would make our job harder, but it would really just mean
> indexing in a database somewhere, the english name vs. the non-english
> names of documents.

Selecting language at the first level would probably work, I was complaining
about putting it in the middle of section and document choice... note that
in that case it should be done nicely like on the web sites[1], English
should be an obvious fallback, not just one more choice in the list.

[1] except those remaining few with broken old Apaches/settings <grumble>

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.