Re: /doc layout in ftp.debian.org [was: Documentation provided in the Woody CDs (should be fixed)]

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 09:40:26PM +1200, Michael Beattie wrote:
> On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 12:30:51PM +0200, Javier Fern?ndez-Sanguino Pe?a wrote:
> > > I'm not sure ftpadmins want to be Cc:ed to this discussion...
> > 	They probably don't but since I'm a little pissed off (almost a
> > week and none of them could even take a *look* at my work). I keep them
> > here >:|
>
> I have looked, and I for one dont like.

	Ok. So then it's better to have the layout we currently have.
Great, thanks.

> 1) It is a huge duplication of what is already available elsewhere.
>    I realise this is intended, due to the fact that some users will not
>    have access to the internet to find and read the documentation.

	You still do not seem to see the problem. CDs given out on Expos,
burnt or sold *assume* people do not have Internet access for that much
info. Otherwise we would not make Cds, just give 1.44 floppy disks to
people.

> 2) If anything, it makes it harder to find things. Granted, there isnt
>    much currently to find.

	¿? ¿Harder than now? There is no such thing as documentation
currently. Please explain why do you think it's harder (and compared to
what). Constructive criticism is appreciated (please also notice that
there are some open threads at debian-doc)
	Also note that I'm going to finish, hopefully this weekend,
http://auric.debian.org/~jfs/proposed-layout/index.en.html
the idea is that "normal" users just take a look at this (or the README)
and *know* how the layout is done and why. HTML will also provide local
links to get the documentation, this does not make it hard to find things.
It makes it pretty easy for users for find document X in language Y (if
available) without having to browse directories.

> If it is to be done at all, it needs to be fully automated, in a totally
> robust fashion.

	Yes, I know. But we do need a layout for woody and work with this
layout (even if done manually) to automate it for the future.

> I dont know if you have Javier, but please take some time to create some
> form of script to fetch all that is required from the "upstream"
> locations and build the required/wanted tree. Bearing in mind that there
> are files in debian/doc/ that could possibly be static.

	All the information on how to do this is in the moving-around
file (as well as the NOTES and TODO file). However, my priorities are:

1.- get a layout accepted
2.- move it to ftp.debian.org:/debian/doc
(after woody freeze and with more time ahead)
3.- automate documentation transfer from klecker to auric.

> Preferably using wget. - lynx to -dump pages I guess.

	That's what I did, it's simply not automated yet. *But* this is
only possible for the documentation under project/ (consitution, social
contract et al) which are published under the web server. DDP
documentation should be retrieved from CVS.

> In all of the above here, I am speaking as myself. Despite common
> belief, I am open to discussion. (I'm not subscribed to -doc, so if you
> drop ftpmaster@, please CC: me. - I dont think that the others will
> mind (aj, ryan, james, randall, correct me if you do))

	Since no other ftpmaster has said anything against it, I'm keeping
that address on Cc:

	Now one question: ¿what would it take to have a layout approved
by debian-doc people to be moved as soon as possible to /doc so that it
can be used by the debian-cd people?

	Regards

	Javi