Re: /doc layout in ftp.debian.org [was: Documentation provided in the Woody CDs (should be fixed)]

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 02:34:17PM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Pe?a wrote:
> 	?Have you had time to take a look at auric.debian.org/home/jfs/doc ?

We have in the meantime discussed a little bit on IRC about this, and Javi
made some adjustments. It's generally an improvement over the current layout
(or rather, the current patchwork).

http://auric.debian.org/~jfs/ BTW.

We agreed that there is one thing missing -- proper indices. Apache's
DirectoryIndex feature only goes so far in user-friendliness :)
He started making a script to autogenerate indices.

Javier and myself disagreed on two points of the layout:

  * he put the language choice before the exact document choice.
    I.e. once you pick a section, you get to pick the language, and then
    the specific document. I think you should get to pick the section,
    the document and then the language.

  * he chose foo-twoletterlanguagecode.filetypeextension
    I would prefer foo.twoletterlanguagecode.filetypeextension
    (dot instead of dash) because we delimit words in document
    handles with dashes, and because in other implementations such as
    HTTP content negotiation, the two letter language code is normally
    separated by dots, too.
    Note: using foo.filetypeextension.twoletterlanguagecode would break
    file type distinction in file browsers that use the last file extension.

I'm not sure ftpadmins want to be Cc:ed to this discussion...

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.