Re: translation support

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 01:32:58PM -0300, synthespian@uol.com.br wrote:

> > but some other things:
> >  - translate some debconf templates (see
> >    http://auric.debian.org/~grisu/debian_translation/)
> >

> > Gruss
> > Grisu

	FYI the URL above is *not* information on how Debian does
translation/l10n/i18n stuff. The main information source is
http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/ (IIRC).
	Problem is, that URL kind of misguides people. It is the source of
information for the "Debian *packages descriptions* trasnlation project".

> I suggest that a formal mechanism of submitting and checking which
> translations are being done has to be set up.
> Submitting your choices do the L10N lists is kind of messy, and makes
> you loose some time. I feel translations at my L10N are a bit "out of
> control" in the sense that nobody knows who's translating what.
> I've suggeste using wiki pages, at least to go there and say "hey, I
> got this template here, I'll do it", but since there's already a web
> page that's supposed to be monitoring this, it would just be
> "forking-out to use anothe resource like a wiki web.

	In any case, translation teams are suggested to create *their own*
coordination pages in www.debian.org/international/ For an example, see the
French or Spanish pages and the information used for coordination amongst
the members.

	In any case, I'm currently thinking of a way we could handle
documentation (and their translations) using partially the BTS, and how to
handle translation teams (and give them the tools that are being already
used by other teams).

	Javi