Re: Debian Metadata Proposal -- draft rev.1.4

On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 01:36:22AM -0400, Adam P. Harris wrote:

> > Maybe 5 for future extension?
>
> Currently, only 2 are allowed.  Does anyone really translate en-uk to
> en-us ?  Left at 2.

Okay, I thought that it would probably be overkill.

> One curious issue is the language, for, say content negotiated web
> pages.  Thoughts?

I don't know how much information you need then, but I think it can be
extracted from the two characters.

> > What about font-encoding field? Is this covered by MIME types (i think so).
>
> Not marked up at all, although it could be indicated as charset in the
> format field.  Do we need to encode the charset?

I remember some problems with Japanese characters (actually, they have five
different character sets). But I don't know what is needed. Well, a field
for the character set (unicode, isolatin1, isolatin2, ..., japanese
character sets specification) could be helpful. Default would be ISOlat1, I
think. I don't think it is correct to extract the font set from the language
field.

Probably we should ask on the japanese Debian list what is needed here
(Japanese it is an extremly different language to English, so if it works
for them, it should work for all other countries, too :)

Marcus