Re: Debian Metadata Proposal -- draft rev.1.4

On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 07:54:00PM +0100, Marco Budde wrote:
> Am 01.07.98 schrieb apharris # burrito.onshore.com ...

> APH>              * Identifier
>
> Ok, but we should use relative paths to the position of .docreg.

I don't think so. This is surprising and assumes that every .docreg file is
in a different location. I know that you want to do that, but I don't know
of any technical advantage. Could you provide me with a list?

> APH>              * Type
>
> We should remove that. We#ve stored this information already in Subject.

This is important orthogonal information, exactly what you wanted twomonths
ago when you requested the availability of howtos in  a howto section. With
the "Type" field, we can map "Type: howto" to an additional "Subject:
wherever/howto" element without loosing consistency.

> APH>           Title			80
>
> Too big. The title should fit in one line of a WWW browser or a screen. I
> would suggest <= 60.

We shouldn't think of represantation to early. Titles in WWW browsers can be
abbreviated, and I always use a 100x37 screen, so 90 characters title are
okay for me. Other read from a braille terminal with 20 chars, big deal. We
should stay on the safe side.

> APH>           Subject			80	(multiple elements combined)
>
> Markus, how long are the longest entries of DDH? We should support at
> least tree entries in this line.

I suggest 160.

> APH>           Description		1024
>
> I#m using that at the moment in dhelp. I would say that this is to much.
> This could fill one page or screen. 512 are enough.

I think we should be on the safe side again. Nobody is forced to use all
1024 characters.

> APH>           Language		2
>
> Ok.

Maybe 5 for future extension?

> APH>           Creator			200	(multiple elements combined)
> APH>           Contributor		200	(multiple elements combined)
> APH>           Publisher		200	(multiple elements combined)
>
> <= 100 should be enough.

I don't think so. Three authors of a document (see apt or doc-base), with
full name and email adress will not fit in 100 characters.

> APH>           Date			80
>
> ? 18-28-1998, I cound 10 characters.

Did you look at the iso standard?

What about font-encoding field? Is this covered by MIME types (i think so).

Marcus