Re: Debian Metadata Proposal -- draft rev.1.4

Marco.Budde@hqsys.antar.com (Marco Budde) writes:
> APH>              * Source
>
> Do we need that? We#ve already <foo>copyright and README.debian.

I thought it was a nice way to point to upstream location of the doc,
for instance, the sunsite location for Linux FAQs.

> APH>              * Relation.IsFormatOf
>
> I don#t need that. Will doc-base use that?

Yes.  A converted file has Relation.IsFormatOf the original document.

> APH>              * Relation.IsBasedOn
>
> Ok, but it#s important for dhelp that this is used for translation links
> only!

Yes, completely.   I don't want to have doubly-linked lists!

> APH>              * Type
>
> We should remove that. We#ve stored this information already in Subject.

See Marcus' reason why this is not true and document "type" and
document "subject" are not necessarily related.  Anything we can do to
keep the subject tree shallow is good, too, IMHO.

> APH>              * Rights
>
> We don#t need that -> <foo>/copyright.

That's true, we don't *need* it; it's optional.  OTOH, for instance on
a DDP site or whatnot, knowing the rights would be a good thing.

> APH>      Field size limits are imposed on fields in order to facilitate a
> APH>      straight-forward database driven interface and hopefully help
> APH>      security. These size limits are checked at install time
>
> I would suggest some changes.

Ok.  Marcus had some changes to suggest too.

> APH>           Identifier		80
>
> Maybe to small? A lot of URLs may be longer.

True.  256 ?

> APH>           Title			80
>
> Too big. The title should fit in one line of a WWW browser or a screen. I
> would suggest <= 60.

Hmm.  One line is generally 75 characters, i.e., in email.  That's
pretty close to 80.

> APH>           Description		1024
>
> I#m using that at the moment in dhelp. I would say that this is to much.
> This could fill one page or screen. 512 are enough.

You are correct; I'll lower it to 512.

> APH>           Language		2
>
> Ok.
>
> APH>           Creator			200	(multiple elements combined)
> APH>           Contributor		200	(multiple elements combined)
> APH>           Publisher		200	(multiple elements combined)
>
> <= 100 should be enough.

Well consider that an individual name in RFC 822 format (i.e., "Adam
P. Harris <apharris-docreg@burrito.onshore.com>" can easily be 70 to
80 characters.  So this would allow 3 authors around 65 chars each.

> APH>           Date			80
>
> ? 18-28-1998, I cound 10 characters.

Doh!  What was I thinking?

> APH>           Relation.IsFormatOf	80
>
> see identifier

Yup.  All changed for the next version.  Thanks for the
well-considered critique.