Re: Re^2: Debian Metadata Proposal -- draft rev.1.4

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
> On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 08:37:00PM +0100, Marco Budde wrote:
> I still don't think it is elegant to spread the files in hundreds of
> directories (and we have 1800 packages) --- in fact it is slower and not
> necessary at all. And we need a common directory for files that can't be
> associated witha special package anyway. We could use
> /usr/share/doc-base/docreg/ and /usr/local/whatever for local files.

One final issue which relates to (a) docreg file placement and (b) to
have or not to have a doc-base maintained database composed of the
docreg files.

One bit of functionality which should be easy to do and is going to
help a lot with debugging is the ability to force the flushing and
recreation of and document store systems (including dhelp db, or not,
depending on whether we try to bring this db under the doc-base system
itself).

For this functionality, we need to recreate the store from scratch
using docreg files.  Marco, in your scheme, how could we accomplish
this?  'locate .docreg' doesn't work, even if we enforce the .docreg
suffix, because I might have little experimental docreg files lying
about which were never meant to be a part of the document store (i.e.,
were never installed by a pkg).